Subscribe to the Real Truth for FREE news and analysis.Subscribe Now
With the announced resignation of Prime Minister Ehud Olmert following a corruption scandal, Israel’s ruling Kadima party chose a new chief: Tzipi Livni. Mr. Olmert will officially step down after Ms. Livni forms a new government. If she fails to do so before 2009, she will likely face a general election.
• Practiced as a lawyer for a decade before entering politics
• Is 50 years old and has two sons
• Was a protégé of former Prime Minister Ariel Sharon
• Served as foreign minister under both Messrs. Sharon and Olmert
• And has been closely involved in the negotiations for a Palestinian state.